Graphite on paper
11 x 8.5"
Signed lower right
8.5 x 11"
Touko Laaksonen (Tom of Finland)
1920 - 1991
By the time Tom was five he was playing the piano and drawing cartoons. In Helsinki he entered art school in 1939 to study advertising art. When Stalin invaded Finland he was drafted into the army and found the uniforms and the sex he loved so passionately and drew it into his art. After the war he went back to art school and also studied piano at the famed Sibelius Institute. In 1956 he was urged by a friend to send examples of his secret art work to the American magazine, "Physique Pictorial." By 1973 Tom was able to quit his very good job with an advertising agency and devote full time to his "dirty drawings" and that same year he had his first public exhibiton in Hamburg. In 1978 he went to Los Angeles where, with his close friend and greatest apostle, Durk Dehner, the "Tom of Finland Foundation" was established. He died of an emphysema induced stroke in 1991.
To place an order email: email@example.com
1. Give the name of artist, catalog number (if there is one), title, and price of the piece of interest to you.
2. Include your name, complete postal address, and phone number.
3. Do NOT send payment until we have confirmed your order. In rare instances our website may not be up to date.
4. 75% of the purchase price must be paid by check or money order directly to the artist or owner of the art.
5. 25% of the purchase price represents a tax-deductible donation to support our museum,
and this portion can be paid by credit card.
6. Shipping and handling charges will be added.